Sunday, August 22, 2010

Need some advice about husband going over seas???

my husband leaves in 4 weeks to go over seas. i need some advice on things to keep me busy. we just moved to this base so i don't know many people, i live on Fort Polk, I'm okay with him going, i understand what he has to do and thats not the problem, but i don't want to move home, i like it here and i do not want to move agian, i have a 5 year old and a 6 month old, i need ideas to keep us busy. my son is really sad about his dad having to leave, he doesn't fully understand. but hwat can i do to make this easier??? any ideas will help. thanks to all of you who answers this.Need some advice about husband going over seas???
My husband is out right now so I for sure know how to answer this one ha ha. I also have an 8 month old. At first it will be hard but soon you will find yourself going about your day just fine. Trust me your kids are going to keep you busy. Raising a kid, much less 2, is a handful. Anyway there is the military wives association and fleet and family services that can help you. You would be shocked to find out about the groups that meet to help with this kind of thing. It is about to be summer so you can always enjoy the outside. I know some of these sound dumb but these are some things my husband and I did..


My husband slept in 2 different shirts for a week each and didn't wash them. One says Triston's shirt (which is my son) and the other is mommy. When he left I slept in mine for the first few days and I put the other beside Triston. It is weird how silly things like that can make you feel better. It is only the first 2 weeks or so that you are going to have to deal with. Trust me. I thought I was going to die, but I am fine. Also before he left we started writing to each other in a book everyday and the other reply. When he left he took it with him. He wrote in it and sent it back. We email everyday but something about waiting on the book and sending it just adds to feeling close to him.


Things to pass time....


start a painting, take a karate class(then you will be in shape when he comes back), take a trip back home.


I set a goal to get in shape and then it was like I didn't have enough time. Well this long ha ha Good luckNeed some advice about husband going over seas???
First of all contact the Army Wives association on base. Get involved with it. Start homeschooling your oldest. Ask the wife of your husbands platoon Sgt. these questions. Also ask the wife of Co. Commander. This is part of the duties of an Army wife to help the families of Jr enlisted men cope. If your husband is a Jr officer then you need to get to know the families of his troops and help them.
Take the kids home to see the Grandparents once or twice, but space it out like you go when he is half way done. It is summer so enroll your son in baseball, he will have something to keep his mind off of it. As for you, take up a hobby. Reading, drawing, something you enjoy. Write him letters all the time, you can be amazed how time flies when you put thoughts on paper. Maybe even take like an on-line class in something you are interested in.You'll figure it out I am sure of it. Good luck and God Bless. I was the one deployed so I kind of know what you are going through.





Any questions or anything jurzzy81@yahoo.com
The kids will have fun putting together packages for Daddy. Make sure you set aside a time every day or two to write him letters, color pictures, etc. He will look forward to it.
Guess what? I live on base too. I would be happy to give you some advice. Is it okay if I message you? It isn't really easy in the beginning, but it does get easier once you get into a routine. There is a program on base for spouses of deployed soldiers. Also, are you signed up with CYS? You need to do so once he is gone.That way you can sign them up for free and get about 8 hours of free child care per child a month. I could just keep going on and on. So let me know if you would like me to message you.
my frg sent this site around www.daddydolls.com it's an excellent site with tons of ideas to make the deployment easier specifically for children. Look under the tips of the month section. There are some really awesome things under there and it gets you started coming up with your own things to do and make things special for the time he'll be gone. Sorry yours is leaving, mine leaves very soon too. It sucks especially as the news of the recent extension is being reported. Hang in there.
I sent you an email too... but here's a short list:





just try to keep busy in general. Develop a daily routine that you stick to like glue. It will help you with your sanity and it will help the kids out in the long run. They'll know what to expect each day, and it'll help your day stay organized instead of chaotic.





Join a play group. I found some great playgroups for my son on MySpace. I just searched groups for playgroups in our area.





Get your loder kid involved in writing letters to daddy and help with care packages. Let him know that he's ';the man of the house'; when daddy's gone. He'll do better if he has a sense of being in charge with some stuff.





I've got more, but email me or join the group that I sent you! :-) Good luck!
Find a Jody to hang out with.

No comments:

Post a Comment