Monday, August 23, 2010

Husband's a liability - need financial advice?

How can I protect the money I鈥檝e earn and brought into my marriage? My husband is an alcoholic and will not get help. If he gets into an accident (DWI) can I be sued for his actions? I earn more and brought money into this marriage. Would it be better to get a separate bank account or is a legal separation the only answer? I am concerned that I would be financially responsible for my husband's poor choices. I would appreciate the advice.Husband's a liability - need financial advice?
Hi firstly im sorry to hear that you are in this predicament, it is possible for you to open up Your own seperate bank account and therefore you can transfer money into their without having to ask for your husband's signature or answer. I presume you would also have to explain to your bank the situation that you are in and therefore explain why you believe that it is safer to transfer your money over. Being that you have brought in most of the money I dont believe that even with a joint account that you cannot transfer money into a seperate account.





Seperation is only if you feel that it is necessary for you to maintain a healthy lifestyle - but is not neccessary when talking about your own money.





You may be at risk if your husband was to make extreme choices if he had to pay any penalties, fees etc this would have to come out of your joint account I presume and therefore you would, in theory, be paying for his mistakes as well as himself.





If you have a citizens advice bureaux nearby I would advise for you to go in and talk to them, or maybe even a solicitor.





Hope I have helped in some way





Waps xHusband's a liability - need financial advice?
The question whether you are liable or not depends on the jurisdiction you are in. Obviously different laws apply in the UK, in Canada, in Ireland, and in any of the 50 US states. I would strongly suggest you seek the advice of a lawyer in your area.





You seem to face a bigger problem than financial issues and potential liability - alcoholism in the family. I suggest you find a local Al-anon group, who will help you work through your main issue, i.e. being married to an alcoholic. Once you get clarity on this issue, I am sure that you will also get clarity on your financial issues.
  • eye makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment