Thursday, July 29, 2010

My husband wants to lose weight with me, but he won't commit, any advice?

My husband comes home everyday from a hard working day of plumbing. He sometimes works up to 12 hours a day! And he wants to lose weight. I have cut a lot of junk out of my diet, and I try and get him to do it but he doesn't commit to it. He sits in the computer for up to 4 hours a night, playing online games with his friends, drinking his Smirnoff, and eating microwaved popcorn, sweets, and chips and dip! Wat can I do to help him see? I've spoken to him,and all he says is '; I know...'; it drives me crazy! I know he knows, but does he really?My husband wants to lose weight with me, but he won't commit, any advice?
Of course he knows he's out of shape. But the last thing he wants is to give you permission to nag him about something else (you do seem to feel free to tell him what to do, my dear!) And maybe he's not as inspired by goals as you are, but is more of a type B, go-with-the-flow kind of guy. Why not take advantage of that?





Given that the most effective way to keep weight off, and to shape up (not just lose fat), is to exercise, and that's something often guys are more comfortable with than dieting, why don't you see if you can work up some way to exercise together?





Walking takes time, but it can be a habit kept for a lifetime. Maybe get a dog who needs to be walked, if your husband is a dog lover? (Just be aware that a dog is a 14-year commitment, not just a 'let's try this.') Or just take walks together, or bike rides? Most research shows that exercise is far more likely to produce lasting weight loss, unlike dieting, anyway.





If you're more ambitious, you could consider taking tennis lessons, or something like that. If you're thinking of joining a class of some kind, though, remember that that tends to be something that women are happier with than men, who usually want to 'figure it out for myself,' perhaps after a few one-on-one lessons. Both men and women tend to stick with something they're good at, too. Was he a good basketball player in high school? There are over-30 and -40 leagues, and just pickup nights, that he might enjoy AND that might spur him to get more fit, and eat and drink better, on off nights to keep up.





I suspect just a few days of sustained walking will strengthen his core enough to make his job easier, requiring as it does a lot of bending and squatting, hard on the back, especially if the stomach isn't strong.





It also sounds like his work hours are probably so long that it's hard to fit in time to work out. You might have to meet him halfway here, by perhaps agreeing that you both could get by on a little less money if he cuts back on the overtime or just the extra job at the end of the day, or you might need to take a part time job or increase hours in your current job to help him have space to cut back.





You have to do something, because he's setting up a very unhealthy long term pattern here. I guarantee that if his back isn't hurting now, it will soon, and he might have to try to find a desk job, which might really cramp both your styles if he's not a desk jockey type - if nothing else, he might earn half as much or less. Not to mention the long term pain and inactivity which leads to weaker core muscles which leads to more pain and more lying around......My husband wants to lose weight with me, but he won't commit, any advice?
work out with out him and then get really hot and make a boy/friend that your husband doesnt know hit on you and make all your friend comment on how great you look and how your husband not so great good plan huh hahah :]
A real man wouldn't be drinking Smirnoff anyway. Dump the loser and go find yourself a real man that has motivation to get up from the computer and make you happy.
If I was in your shoes I'll just let him be. LOL Is up to him if he really wants to lose weight, just because you want him to or he says I want to doesn't necessarily means he's going to. When you're up %26amp; runnig looking good- in shape, he's going to feel like he should lose weight too. But leave it up to him, if he doesn't want to, then leave him alone. He oviously feel comfortable the way he is.





Good luck!
To successfully lose weight, you must carry out


a plan to balance your caloric intake with exercise.


Ideally, dieting should be done by eating a nutritionally


balanced, low-calorie diet and increasing physical activity.


I found useful informations at
As someone who has struggled with weight issues his entire life I can tell you that your husband won't stop until he is ready. All you can do is set a good example, and be there when he is ready to commit. I know this is probably not the answer you were hoping for, but unfortunately eating can be as addictive as drinking or smoking, sometimes more so because it is socially acceptable.
He obviously don't want to lose weight that bad if he still has his old habbits. I think you know you can't help him unless he wants to help himself.
He just doesn't have the commitment to do so.


His attitude reminded me a lot of my dad, only difference my dad exercise min.1hour every morning thus he thinks he can take all the red meat, beers %26amp; stuffs in the world.





Due to his working hours which is always up to 12hours+ %26amp; even odd hours thrown in at times.





Eventually he got high blood pressure, the doctor said it's either his health or life.





Thus our family decided to give him more support %26amp; nag for him to watch out diet. We take turns to cook for him more nutritious food %26amp; stop buying snacks, beers %26amp; stuffs for him.


Instead replace it alternative snacks like vege snacks, preserved fruits %26amp; stuffs like that. We make sure green tea + honey is well stocked. Once a while we cook soup, coz it's fulfilling dish.





If he were to take sweets, replace with chewing gum. It will keep his mouth busy for hours.
my bf and i compete each week and the loser has to treat the winner to something special
Sadly, it might just be that he isn't ready and simply honestly doesn't want to.





My mother and I get the same reaction from my stepfather. The only difference between your husband and my stepfather is that my stepfather's condition is life-threatening.





It's going to take a lot more than just you telling him. He might need a wake-up call of some sort.





And no. If this is how he acts...he doesn't really ';know.'; Trust me, I've heard it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment