Saturday, July 31, 2010

My husband and I want to purchase a pellet burning stove for the winter. Any advice?

Last winter my uncle put in a pellet stove. It heats the room it is in very nicely but their house is older and not what you would call an ';open floor plan';. The rest of the house was downright cold. This fall he put in a heat pump. He was really unhappy with the stove and the cost of pellets and the constant filling of the stove was too much. Just something for you to think about and possibly talk to dealer on size and placement of the stove.My husband and I want to purchase a pellet burning stove for the winter. Any advice?
I would think long and hard before I bought a Pellet (beaver vomit) stove. Pellet stoves are costly to buy,costly to fuel and they will Not operate if the power goes off. Firewood (hardwood) is still more economical than Pellet stoves. If you go to this site....http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php鈥?/a> is someone who is an expert wilt different heat sources.There are links for fuel price comparisons.My husband and I want to purchase a pellet burning stove for the winter. Any advice?
first of all find one that will heat the total area you want to heat, next get one that has a Large hopper, and is brick lined, and has a blower on it, there is also self ingiting,


buy your pellets by the ton, there cheaper,


also might look into a corn/pellet burner.
Why? By the time you purchase the stove and install it and buy the special pellets, it costs more than 5 years worth of gas or electric heat.
Buy all your pellet fuel before winter. There are often shortages later and the cost will skyrocket.
take a look at solid fuel burners too. timber is abundant and free in skips and on building sites whereas pellets can be expensive and inconvenient
check BTU size. they make a good kicker. but eat money. I turned the furnace back on after trying to heat house with pellets. cost more than electric .

No comments:

Post a Comment